The tabernacle, speaking comprehensively, is explained in the N.T. as typical in three ways:
(1) of the Church as a habitation of God through the Spirit Exodus 25:8; Ephesians 2:19-22
(2) of the believer 2 Corinthians 6:16
(3) as a figure of things in the heavens Hebrews 9:23; Hebrews 9:24. In detail, all speaks of Christ:
(1) The ark, in its materials, acacia-wood (See Scofield "Exodus 26:15") and gold, is a type of the humanity and deity of Christ.
(2) In its contents, a type of Christ, as:
(a) having God's law in His heart Exodus 25:16. (b) the wilderness food (or portion) of His people Exodus 16:33 (c) Himself the resurrection, of which Aaron;s rod is the symbol Numbers 17:10.
(3) In its use the ark, especially the mercy-seat, was a type of God's throne. That it was, to the sinning Israelite, a throne of grace and not of judgment was due to the mercy-seat formed of gold and sprinkled with the blood of atonement, which vindicated the law, and divine holiness guarded by the cherubim Genesis 3:24
(See Scofield "Ezekiel 1:5") See PROPITIATION, See Scofield "Romans 3:25"